Custom Search

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Wine-Knows Travel: Truffle Oil --- Buyer Beware!

Say it isn't so!  I didn't know any better until now, so I'm sure I've fallen for the knockoffs in the past.

Let the buyer beware!

Wine-Knows: Fine Wine and Gourmet Food Journeys for the Discerning Traveler: Truffle Oil---Buyer Beware!:

"Mama mia…imagine my surprise when I came across an article in the New York Times talking about knock-off truffle oils.  If it says "Truffle Essence" or "Truffle Aroma" it is SYNTHETIC, made in a laboratory from chemicals that mimic the smell of the glorious tuber.

Buyer Beware!  If you’re shopping for truffle oil be sure to carefully inspect the label to make sure it says “infused with white truffles.”  Don’t even think about labels that have “essence” or “aroma,” as their imposters made with 2,4-dithiapentane in some lab."

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment